After two long weeks of hard work we finally finished the Student Experiment Documentation v2.0! =)

We had some major changes in comparison to our SED v1.0, like choosing another embedded Board for our Core System.
Initially it was planned to use a very powerful FPGA for our Horizon-Detection-Algorithm to make sure that our experiment will detect the Horizon in real-time. But after some calculations and discussions with experts, we decided to use a “normal” CPU as our Core System. Although this design change leads to a loss in computational power, our experiment will still be able to work in real-time. At least we hope so…;-)

Of course we had some more changes in our design, but to make a long story short: we managed to reduce the power consumption by approx. 30% compared to our initial approach.

Due to this fact, we think we are able to fly two independent systems on REXUS-16! This would provide us more data (and more nice images…) for later analysis of the algorithms overall performance.
But of course EuroLaunch has the final word on this, and so we are eagerly waiting for our CDR in Oberpfaffenhofen on June 26 to get the go-ahead for Implementation from EuroLaunch!

Posted in: News.
Last Modified: June 13, 2013